Almondy

CONSCIOUS CAKES

Sustainability is important for us all

OUR INITIATIVE FOR A CONSCIOUS AND SUSTAINABLE CULTURE

Sustainability is important for us all. During the past few years, we have therefore established a framework for how we will work with social, financial and ecological sustainability within Almondy. For us, this is all about continuing to promote a culture where everyone who works with us, whether directly or indirectly, does so with the conviction that it is by working together that we can make a difference. We call this initiative Conscious Cakes – a culture of conscientiousness for a sustainable Almondy.

The UN’s Global Goals for Sustainable Development provide us with a clear guide

Is it possible to eliminate extreme poverty, to reduce inequality and injustice, to promote peace and justice, and to resolve the climate crisis? YES, say 193 of the UN’s member states – if we work together! The 17 Global Goals summarise what these countries have undertaken to do. With reference to the UN’s Global Goals for Sustainable Development, we have identified five priority areas where we are either already making a difference or have the potential to develop. Let’s take a closer look.

A FOSSIL-FREE BAKERY BY 2030

At the Almondy bakery, we have incorporated climate-improvement measures into our work for many years, not least because we quickly realised that this was also beneficial in terms of financial sustainability. Taking advantage of the residual heat generated in various stages in the production process (such as from cooling compressors, extracted air from ventilation and the heat from our ovens) and using this to heat water and the bakery has long seemed completely logical to us. Since 2022, we only buy certified and traceable biogas and green electricity. We will also be launching a project that will review our use of fossil-based plastics, such as in our packaging, gloves and bags. Our bakery will be completely fossil-free by 2030.

REDUCE FOOD WASTE BY HALF BY 2030

Our work to reduce food waste is actively targeted. Among other things, we are currently part of an international project led by the World Resources Institute (WRI) that aims to reduce food waste in all stages by at least 50% by 2030. As part of this, we also work actively to encourage our consumers to think about the issue of waste. No Almondy cake should be made unnecessarily.

GOOD TERMS AND CONDITIONS IN THE SUPPLIER CHAIN

We are currently working to ensure that our suppliers impose the same strict requirements regarding sustainability that we do. In Almondy’s Code of Conduct, we have given them a comprehensive list of requirements. We have also already influenced many of them to sign one of our global partners’ Code of Conduct to ensure the responsible purchasing of products and services, and materials and components.

CLIMATE-SMART PACKAGING BY 2030

All of our cake packaging is currently produced using recycled fibres. Since January 2022, these are also certified in accordance with the FSC standard. This means that 95% of all packaging is already recycled and made into new packaging. But what about the other 5%? For reasons of product safety, the packaging of each product includes a thin plastic film, which helps to preserve the cake’s quality and freshness. It is our goal that by 2030 we will have fully climate-smart packaging, where 100% of the materials can be recycled. To achieve this, we are actively working to evaluate the exciting innovations that are already in development.

MORE EFFICIENT WATER USE IN 2022

Imagine that clean, useable water was an infinite resource all over the world, and that we could use and waste as much as we wanted. Unfortunately, this is not the case, and the fact is that water shortages are occurring increasingly often even here in Sweden. This means that we must be better at managing the water we have. Our use of water needs to become more efficient. We are currently mapping our water use, and hope that the implementation of minor measures will already result in a difference this year.